Welcome to the Food Haul!


Anyone who knows me will know that as well as designing and making unique aluminium and silver jewellery, I LOVE food!!
Yes, we are foodies!

This blog intends to bring you little food likes and finds from my week so that you can try them too if you want to. You should also be warned that I am, and always will be, a chocoholic, so if anyone out there wants me to testdrive any - feel free to let me know!!

Enjoy!

Sunday 30 October 2011

Weekend Munchies!

Hello folks - hope you've all had a lovely week and that you enjoyed last week's blog about the Royal William Bakery.  I had to go back on Friday to show my husband it's gorgeousness and whilst he tried out the variety of toast I had a thick slice of Banana, Pear and Chocolate sweet bread with butter which was amazing! mmmmmmmmm...........

So what's tickled my tastebuds this week then?  Well, kicking off with the above of course, we then settled down to watch our foodie hero, Nigel Slater, and made notes for future try-outs.  I love his obvious relish for good food and I like the way that there are no hard and fast recipes, merely guidelines, suggestions and enthusiasm for experimentation.

It's been my turn in the kitchen today so this has been the plan.  For brunch I pinched a good friend's recipe and made cheese scones and as I don't like mustard I used a good kick of paprika instead.  I served the warm cheese scones buttered with poached eggs on top and a sprinkling of parmesan - lovely - thanks Sam and Heather!!

We're not vegetarians, but we often eat meat-free meals because we like them, so tonight will be another recipe that I've nicked - this time from my daughter-in-law Josie.  We're having Butternut Squash and Feta pie.  There's nothing like the comforting stickiness of roasted butternut squash - my alltime favourite vegetable.  If you want to try this, it's the easiest thing in the world.  Just cut up the squash into chunks, drizzle with olive oil and place on a tray with a couple of whole garlic cloves or more if you prefer and roast in the oven till cooked.  In the meantime, slice a red onion and fry gently in olive oil and when it's softened stir in some brown sugar and a splash of balsamic vinegar to caramelise the onions.  Roll out some shortcrust pastry and place on an oven tray.  Combine the butternut squash, squeeze the garlic out of it's skin, the onions and some cubed feta cheese together and pile in the centre of the pastry and fold the edges over to make a freeform pie and bake until golden - fab-u-lous!!! We usually have whatever salad is to hand with this one.

As for chocolate this week, I've been eating 50% milk chocolate from Hotel Chocolat which is the bar that used to be called Macho Milk - very nice.

See you all next week! I believe that the new River Cottage Canteen and Deli will be opening soon at Royal William Yard so I'll take a look and let you know.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment